Thursday, August 18, 2011

control vs. trust

The lessons keep on coming...this one courtesy of 1 AM - 4 AM being awake with Martin (and ultimately Rose who Martin woke up).

I will spare all the juicy details, but here is the jest. He peed in the bed and woke up, which I would have too. But he was so awake that he fought going back to sleep and I don't mean fought in a figurative sense, more in a literal hitting/kicking sense. Rose ended up in my bed, because that was the only way to watch her and for her to be able to relax. The highlight before I put her in our bed was that HE told HER to be quiet...let's just say daddy was not happy about that comment. Basically about 3:30-3:45 I had to make him lay down, eventually his fighting went to being broken and he drifted off to sleep. He slept till 8 when Rose woke up and I then woke him up. He is having a good morning so far and everything is fine in his little world...besides some toys that he is not allowed to play with because of the night. I say with all conviction that I do not believe he was scared at all...I think he was trying to get control of the situation...which leads to my Spiritual thought of the day.

First of all control is an illusion. We all know that control is something that we only have in a VERY limited degree...if at all. We are one phone call away from a tragedy, one postponed court date away from spending 2 plus months in a foreign country (that one was pretty personal)...I think you get the idea. What we control in our world is so finite that we really have no control at all.

Martin is trying to control. He wants to be in charge (which he has been in charge of his life up to this point), but that is not the way our home works...God has put Kasey and I in charge of this family. Every time he doesn't get what he wants he gets mad...sometimes fits comes, sometimes he snaps out of it (let me say in all sincerity that he has made MAJOR progress...we know there will be difficulties and that it won't just go away, but progressively it is getting better). ANYWAY the point is he doesn't know his control is an illusion.

The other thought about control is that when you trust someone, you don't have to seek control. Again I believe he is growing in his trust, but he still doesn't have complete trust, therefore he thinks his way is better. We do this with people in our lives as well as situations. We try and control people because we don't really trust their motives or that they really love us. I have seen this displayed in many marriages...if you don't trust your spouse then you will try and control what they do, who they are with, etc. (PRAISE THE LORD for a spouse that I trust completely...and for all of you that trust your spouse give me an AMEN. It has been a while since I preached so you will have to excuse the 'preacher' moment) If you have some insight you know where this is going...when we trust the LORD, we don't need to have control...because we trust His way is best and whatever comes we trust he will take care of it. When we trust the LORD we realize our control is an illusion, therefore we trust the one that is in control of all things and we trust that he will work all things out to our good, if we love Him!

Trust the LORD...that is all
LOVE YOU ALL
brad

No comments:

Post a Comment