So many of the things I have blogged that would be considered 'spiritual' lessons are because one of the things that God is doing in me is making me more aware of what is going on around me. Without all the Western distractions (TV, entertainment, etc... not that any of those in and of themselves is bad and honestly I will take part when I get home, but with a different mindset), God has opened my eyes to see Him in everything, to recognize what He is doing, and learn from what He is showing me. This lesson is one I have been pondering for a few days, but it came to a head this morning.
Before this trip I thought I had to teach my kids everything. What I mean by that is that I would teach them to do things...love, obey, etc. etc. Now don't get me wrong there is an element of teaching in everyday life, but what I have learned here is how much is simply caught by children. There are so many things I took for granted that kids just knew. Table manners, obedience, knowing that an adult is an adult and they are kids and the adults are in charge, etc. Well what I am learning is that with a 4 year old that has not had that example (not that his example has been bad just different than what we are used to), I am having to teach a lot more.
So for Kate and Sam the majority of who they are is first of all who God made them and then next I would say what they have seen displayed in Kasey and I. They have caught the lessons along the way by our example and us bringing them along in those things. For Martin and Kamrynn we are starting at the level we started with Kate and Sam but we have had them from birth...so all that Kate and Sam know we are trying to instill, but we are having to not only show them, but intentional teach them.
This morning I found an opportunity to give a lesson without saying a word. We were outside for a few minutes before we ate lunch and there was trash all over the ground (straw wrappers, bottle tops, paper, etc). There was a wedding here on Friday and a Christian ladies conference here yesterday (what I want to know is whether the beer bottle tops and cigarette butts are from the wedding or the Christian women's conference...I think I know the answer to that). So I started picking up trash and Martin joined in. I then told him we are helping Livingston and Alfred by helping clean up. That is all that needed to be said. I want all my kids to be about helping people, whether they need the help or you can just bless them with your help!
So we are fixing to eat lunch and then go to church (it is a noon service). We will go a little sweaty, maybe a littley stinky, and hopefully with a good lesson caught!
As for me...I am doing well this morning. Knowing Kasey is home is a relief to my heart and gives me great joy. I was actually able to talk to Farouk about Kasey being gone and not cry...that is huge! Speaking of Farouk he brought by a stroller for Rose...life just got good - now I can strap her in and push her around instead of carrying her all the time (she is a chunk!)
Love you all...
brad
And Kasey...yes we did wash hands after we picked up the trash!! Love you my wife!
Sunday, July 24, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment