Well...today was a busy and crazy one for us!!
Today was the day we attended Mark's wedding introduction. We started off with a breakfast with the groom's friends and family, and then we traveled to the introduction, which was pretty much the giving of the dowry. It was very interesting to watch the traditions and customs of this culture. Many of you may have seen our pictures on our web album with Brad and I in traditional Ugandan wear. Everyone told us we looked "smart", which is their way of saying we looked nice and sophisticated! I will tell you we were HOT! Both of us were layered up! It was fun to get dressed up and try something different.
For those of you with kids...you know that crazy days make for crazy kids. We were definitely reminded today how much these kids rely on the routine we've been working to establish - especially having downtime, which they didn't get today. We are looking forward to Monday when we get to just chill a little!
At the breakfast this morning, we sat with a family member of the groom's family. She was the most precious woman from Western Uganda. Her husband is a pastor there and they have been in their church for 22 years. She shared with me her desire to have children, but has been unable. Please pray for this sweet woman. She got emotional when talking about her desire to have children, which most Ugandans don't show emotion. So, I know it's heavy on her heart.
She asked me if this was our first trip to Uganda and I told her that neither of us have ever been out of the US. She was suprised and asked why. I told her that it is very expensive to travel. I told her that in America, our family is not wealthy. Many Africans view Americans like the ones on TV, just like we view them! (No, there are not zebras and giraffes walking around like we see on TV!!) I told her I was a teacher and Brad is a pastor, so we are not rich. I told her traveling abroad was very expensive. When I told her that our plane tickets alone, not counting the one I will buy for my second trip were almost $7000 American dollars, and translated that into shillings for her- over 17 million shillings, she started sobbing. She said "You did that for Uganda?" I told her that we love these children so very much and that they were so worth it. She said "You're not just blessing these children, you're blessing Uganda. That's too much money. I can't believe your sacrifice." I sat there in that moment so thankful for my sweet new friend who had blessed me more with her words than I could've imagined. At the end of our conversation she told me "I will pray for God's mercy on you for your great sacrifice" What a precious woman and what encouraging words. I will never forget the way God used her in our lives today.
I hope you are having a great day. I hope you enjoy seeing Brad and I look so "smart"! I'm sure Kate and Sam will get a kick out of seeing their daddy in a "dress!" They are heading to the beach, which they will love!!!!
We'll talk to you tomorrow. We will be in Lugazi - Brad will be preaching. Pray for him as he preaches!
Brad and Kasey
Saturday, July 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I have pic of the kids at the beach on my fb. They are having fun. Love you both Dawn.
ReplyDeleteHey brothers and sisters, I'm glad to hear or I should say see the progress being made with the kids. Acceptance, already. Awesome! Love building--growing! Love lasts a long time! Please, remember Melinda's step dad-- in dire physical condition. We ( I ) miss you guys incredibly. God with you! tim
ReplyDeleteGlad ya'll had a good time. Love the pictures. Brad, you looked awesome. Kasey so did you, but Brad...wow, there really are not words!!!!
ReplyDeleteThe pictures are awesome!! Such a cool experience & memory for all of you! Love to you all!!
ReplyDelete